JTK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED], on 03 Feb 2002:

>> I don't pay for AOL's service:
>
> Great!  So you're not an AOL subscriber?

No.  If you had any idea how to check my headers, or read my signature,
you'd see I'm an @home user who's ISP is transitioning from Comcast@Home
to Comcast High Speed Internet

>> http://www.aim.com/get_aim/win/latest_win.adp?aolperm=h
>> http://www.aim.com/get_aim/linux/latest_linux.adp?aolperm=h
>>
>> Did you pay for AIM?
>
> Nope.  Nor will I ever, seeing as I completely don't understand the
> attraction of "Instant Messaging(tm)".  If I want to talk to
> somebody "Instantly(tm)" I'll call them on the phone.

Nice.  I don't call people on the phone just randomly chat while I'm
getting ready to play Tribes 2.  I can't phone 4 people at the same
time, either.  Maybe you can.

>>  I get AIM for free because at the top of my buddy
>> list there is a little ad banner that I never look at.  And there
>> are a bunch of things that pop up and annoy me by default.
>> Trillian doesn't have these.  Trillian has no advertising at all.
>
> So you should use this Trillian then, no?

You could.  But then you'd need backups when AOL blocks your client from
their servers

>>  Thus, AOL pays money
>> for bandwith and networking expenses for their AIM network,
>
> Ah, yeah, make that: "AOL's suckers I mean subscribers pay money
> for..."

No.  The money required for running the AIM servers is generally got by
running ads in AIM.  Get free program, free access to AOL's chat
network, 1 banner ad that you don't even have to look at.  Don't like
it?  Go find another chat network

>> and they
>> don't get money from advertising because no one uses the AIM
>> client and AOL gets screwed out of money.
>
> Sounds like a pretty good arrangement to me.  Tell me, can I use
> this Trillian with its no-ads if I'm an AOL subscriber?  Oh, no,
> they want to pump ads at me there too, don't they, even though I'm
> paying for the service?

Yes, you can use Trillian if you are an AOL subscriber.  You simply set
your AOL screen name to away/No one can see me when I'm online, create
an AIM screen name and sign on through Trillian.

--
ICQ: N/A (temporarily)
AIM: FlyersR1 9