Jason Johnston wrote:
 > David Tenser wrote:
 >
 >> I love Mozilla, but I have one big problem: It's consuming way too
 >> much of my CPU (900 MHz Ahtlon). I'm currently using the latest
 >> nightly build, could that be the reason why?
 >>
 >> I believe the problem started when I chose to activate the Talkback
 >> Agent, but I have no idea if that is related to the problem.
 >>
 >> It's consuming 100% of the CPU for a second or two when rendering a
 >> page on screen.
 >>
 >> It's particulary slow on my very own site:
 >> http://m1.161.telia.com/~u16112907/kroppsdel/index.html
 >>
 >> When loading the first page on that site, even the mouse pointer
 >> freezes for a second. This never happens with any site when using IE6.
 >>
 >> / David
 >>

 > I don't see this problem either, P3-500.  The CPU peaks at about 30%
 > when loading the url you supplied.  I'm also running nightly builds
 > (currently 2002021203 on Win2K).  I just sent in a talkback report about
 > an hour ago, so I doubt it's talkback-related.
 >
 > I wish I could be more helpful.  A couple things to try:
 > - Try re-installing the same nightly build and see if that helps.
 > - Try creating a new profile, maybe it's profile-related.
 >
 > --J

Thanks for the tip. I tried to create a new profile, and, very
surprising for me, it does make a big difference! It's still pretty slow
when initially loading the page (the address previously mentioned), but
when alt-tabbing between windows, it repaints the page instantly now.

How come?!

What exactly is stored in the profile? Shouldn't the page renderer
(Necko?) render a page the same way, regardless of what email settings
that I have for instance? How can the profile affect the performance on
the screen painting of websites? And an even harder question to ask, why
is it just this page, and not every page?

Of course, I'm sure there are other pages that has the same problem on
this machine, but still... why?

/ David