michael lefevre wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ian Davey wrote:
>
>>Alex Farran wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>The place where I work has blocked access to doubleclick.  Now every
>>>time I go to a site with adverts on it I get a pop-up error telling me
>>>that Mozilla can't find doubleclick.  I preferred the adverts!
>>>
>>Find your hosts file, under Windows NT its under:
>>
>>c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc
>>
>>and add:
>>
>>127.0.0.1       doubleclick.net
>>127.0.0.1       ad.doubleclick.net
>>
>>into it.
>>

> err... that's not going to help by itself.  that gives the same effect as
> the actions of his admins. with that hosts file, mozilla will look for
> the doubleclick server at 127.0.0.1, and, unless you have a web server
> running on your machine, you'll get a popup telling you it couldn't reach
> the server.

That's strange, it has always worked for me and I don't have a web
server running on my machine (NT4). It should always reach that server
anyway, as it just points straight at the local machine. I used to use
the same technique with Netscape 1 on Win3.1 and it worked just as well...

I don't get any error popups.

ian.