On 03/10/2002 12:42 PM, Jonas Jørgensen wrote:
> Jay Garcia wrote:
>
>>> Netscape is tracking everybodies search terms and their *IP* addresses.
>>> They now can assemble a database of what you are interested in and *who
>>> you are*!!!
>>
>> You have NO idea who I am if all you have to go on is my IP address !!!
>> Geeze, where to you people come up with this stuff ??
>
> Regarding most users, you are right. But what if you had a static IP
> address and you had at some point ordered a Time Magazine subscription
> using that IP address? Time Magazine is part of AOLTW's network, so in
> that case, AOLTW would be able to find your name and address even if all
> they had to go on was your IP address -- wouldn't they?
>
> /Jonas

Ahh, but that is a deliberate act that you knowingly supplied quite a
lot of personal and financial information.

Are you saying that AOL/TW may peruse the database of IP's connected
with that information in order to engage in an illegal clandestine
invasion of privacy act that is already protected by Federal Privacy Act
laws? I would also assume that very few users actually read the privacy
statements posted on most legitimate corporate sites.

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape Champion
Novell MCNE-5/CNI-Networking Technologies-OSI