"David Debono" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

[snip]

That is absolutely fascinating, thank you for your time.  I will consider it
for my research.

> Again both are still being used, but as I've not used Mainframes in
> anger for a few years now but doesn't MVS/XA still support CICS as a
> virtual machine "on the bus"?

I personally haven't seen CICS much since about 1994, but I was standing in
the Perot Systems data center when the sysops brought up the data segment
after installing the first IBM TCP/IP stack for MVS/XA.  Holy crap. A 4
gigaflop relational database and file server.  Makes NT and Sun look like
tinker toys.  These little hacker geeks just don't understand.