Martijn Kluijtmans wrote:

> I just vote for it.
> Think of the following situation:
> In a family, every member wants to use Mozilla's, mail facilities
> - Father gets confidential information from clients
> - Daughter gets love letters by her friend
> - Mother ....
> enz.

Yes, we had this discussion already on .security a few months ago.

> And of course they don't want anybody to read their e-mail, so if
> it's  not too much too implement, although maybe it's just for
> Windows, please  add this funcionality.
> I don't expect 100% hack proof, but for normal use, a password would
> be  enough.

Unix and WinNT give stronger protection already. Windows 95 and higher
has a buit-in password protection (but not more - no dis access
protection), and I think we honor that.
IIRC, if you activate it somewhere in networking, you can make Windows
come up with a login during startup. The Windows preferences will be
stored for each user separately, as will the "Documents" folder, where
we will then store Mozilla's profiles, I think. I.e. if you have 2
Windows users, one would not even see the Mozilla profiles (in the
Profile Selecltor/Manager) of the other user.
Of course, you can still access the Mozilla files on disk, but that's
not much different from Word files.

Please move the discussion to .security only. (Personally, I think
.prefs is the right group, but it's too late.)