Robert Irving wrote:
I am trying to import a ".cer" security certificate, but I keep getting
asked for a password and then getting the error message:
[...]
So far as I know, there is no password for this, [...]

I'll fully agree with that :-)

Any help?

First the correct group for certificate related discussion is netscape.public.mozilla.crypto, so I'll redirect the discussion there.

Second, the interface you use is there to import your *own* certificat together with it's private key, the two being assembled inside a file in PKCS#12 format. That's why it requires a password to decipher the private key.

The file you have is someone else's public certificate in X509 format, and no private key of course.

So in certificate manager, you need to click on the "Other People's" tab, and do import from there. You'll see that the interface then tells you are opening "Certificate Files", and only the ".cer" files will be displayed.

If the certificate you're trying to import is a CA certificate, you must do the import from the "Authorities" tab.