> I can
> see your point to some extent.  There's also the "You'd be amazed what
> people will do to save a dollar" factor though and for the vast majority
> of people that just browse and do email a recent linux distribution
> (with some MINOR tech support from son/daughter/friend/etc) would be
> able to keep browsing and emailing away and not know the difference.

Well, I think it is closer than it has been, but still
not ready.  Lindows is supposed to be that market.

> Personally I use Gentoo at home and would not reccommend that for anyone
> straight off windows.  I've fiddled with Fedora at work and adding
> something like Synaptic makes managing the software install/upgrades a
> breeze.  But yeah...who am I kidding.  As much as I like and use linux,
> I do realize it's still FAR (unfortunately) off from invading the home
> so Mac probably is the next best choice.  Of course none of this stops
> me from reccommending Firefox/Mozilla to anyone I have any influence over.

Absolutely.  "Download Firefox, Buy A Mac!"

(You see how, with the people we are talking about,
if they do either of those things it helps them, and if
they do both it doesn't matter that the Mac browser
is probably ok.)

Unfortunately until we crack phishing, it's not a
complete prescription.  Oh well, one thing at a
time.

iang