Ian,

Ian G wrote:

For encryption, just now I tried again, and I may have figured out the problem: it requires me to select a certificate, which wasn't obvious the first time I went through the various dialogues; it should just automatically select the one cert that is there (actually it should automatically create, sign and select a cert on install time .. but that's another debate).

That's making a pretty big assumption - that you only have one cert in the database that matches your email address(es).

But it's true the interface definitely doesn't make it obvious how to turn on signing and encryption .

But, in Options/Security I found a menu that
gave options to encrypt and to sign.  They need
to be on the chrome somewhere, imho.

They are, at least in Mozilla mail. One of the buttons, between "spell" and "save, is called "security". It's got a drop-down menu to select encryption and/or signing.

So I guess the thing is to set the default in
Edit / Account Settings / [EMAIL PROTECTED] /
Security / Encryption to say Never and then to
override that by clicking the Options/Security/
Encrypt each time?

Yep.

In summary,

   1. it should create and select a cert on
       install.

That would require a relationship with a CA and automated protocol.
Besides, the install time wouldn't be the right time to do it, or at least not the only time. E-mail account creation time would be.

For signatures, that's less interesting to me,
but I'll try to sign this email, and if that
works, it will be because the Cert was not
selected.

Signatures are the way encryption certificates are transmitted, so they are rather crucial. If you don't sign your messages, people won't be able to write you encrypted messages.