Peng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> On 04/09/05 14:20, yamaha wrote:
> > I am trying to get Thunderbird to reset my password.
> > I have 3 accounts in win2k (logins)
> > 2 of the 3 have a TB account ( and unique names). ( both logins fail)
> >
> > I read TB FAQ, TB KB,  and a million post in Usenet (groups)
> > No solutions work for me , including , install and reinstall.
> > I even killed the folders ,to no avail.
> >
> > Inclucing
> > Tools + options + saved passwords, rest master password.
> > the view passwords box is EMPTY.
> >
> > This setup works on my home computer but not here on my Girlfriends win2k
> > PC.
> > I click  Get email and it goes out to my server before asking for the
> > password
> > I never set REMEMBER PW = true ,ever.
> > It acts all the world like it set Autologin PW = true by itself.
> >
> > It was all working before and killed it self with out any help.
> > I am testing with the zone alarm OFF , just incase it is blocking ports.
> >
> > Anyone know of a way to manually reset all the passwords.
> >
> > Thanks for any help at all.
> >
> > Hog.
>
> I'm not sure if this will work, but there is a file in your profile
> folder that stores all passwords. It's name is just seven random
> characters, and it ends in ".s". You could try renaming it to something
> like "1234567.s.old". If Thunderbird can't find the file, it won't be
> able to use the passwords stored in it.

Thank you !
I repeated my experiments over and over. ( DOA FOR TWO USERS  !]
Thunderbird 1.02.
I remove the program ,totally via add/remove CP.
I delete the program files/thunderbird folder
I delete all profiles, doc and set.../John/application
data/thunderbird xxxxx
and Jane .

I deleted every instance of thunderbird in the REgistry.
I now have NO THUNDERBIRD anywhere ( no hidden  files views of win
explorer)
The reg is empty and all folders named Thunderbird are gone.!!

I re-Install thunderbird for Admin John.
I set up the account and it works great. ( no suprise)
I then log into (win2k) jane a non admin called USER.

I create her account and then it starts to access the mail on the
server.
IT NEVER asks for a password. ( it must think there is a pw, but no I
have NOT TOLD IT ONE YET !)

Then I notice JOHN is now dead. ( that's a nice side effect?)

It is easy to prove here that the two accounts are cross linked.
they both use the same server ,  [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
they both have their own server password.

At no time should ?  creating a Jane account,effect John, but it does.
THIS IS A BUG. ( server time out )

I have used Thunderbird for years now and it always works great.
but adding a second user ( a new WIN2k login person , launching from
their own win2k profile ( Doc n Settings/jane/app data/thunderbird.

deleting the jfkajfkja.s files do not work either.

That is my multiuser issue (BUG) with Thunderbird.
Hog.