> Ian Grigg wrote:
>>>I am not suggesting that we make any assurances that the CA is not
>>>making; I am suggesting we more clearly represent the CAs position in
>>>the UI. As you know, CAs take different positions on this issue.
>>
>> Right.  So there needs to be an easy way to
>> show the CA / position.
>
> Position, yes. CA, no. ;-)

Well, all I can suggest that this is a hard
problem.  The only solution I know of is the
logos / branding / reputation approach which
works for most all retail markets.

Perhaps you could come up with some example
"positions" so we could play around with them?

[discussion on a CA that doesn't like his logo :]

> I explained why I didn't think putting logos on the chrome was a good
> idea, and he agreed absolutely.

OK!  Well, there's not much I can say to that
other than put him in touch with me and I'll
discuss with him why he doesn't want to put
logos on the chrome of browsers.

(BTW, I wholly agree that users will face
some confusion.  For a while... and then it
will migrate to the point where they won't be
confused, it will be as if it was always that
way, and they'll be very upset if you dare to
take away the logos.  That's a necessary cost
of getting to the next level of security, IMHO.)

>> Until she learns!  Nobody forces her to shop.  It's
>> not our God given mission to make her buy those goods.
>
> I think a browser which said "Hey, don't shop online until you've learnt
> the following 35 logos and assessed their trust levels by, I don't know,
> reading these Certificate Practice Statements" wouldn't have much market
> share.

I agree.  That's not what is being suggested.

What is being suggested is that the browser
relate the statement "this is X.com" to the
person who made the statement "CA.com".  I
wouldn't suggest the browser say any more
than that because it is not authoritive in
the question of whether a user should shop
online.

iang