On Thursday 12 May 2005 05:17, Anthony G. Atkielski wrote:
> Jean-Marc Desperrier writes:
> > Altenate solution : An established list of "tier 1" essential extensions
> > that you can trust fully for that level of attention.
>
> If they are essential, they should not be extensions.

Perhaps "routine extensions" then.

> Any technology that allows for extensions is a security risk.  If I want
> an expandable, bloated mess of a security risk, I'll run MSIE.

Right.  But this is a fairly extreme and non-
representative statement - most users will
agree with it only in absence of an offering of
a good extension.  As extensions are offered,
people will try them.

People will always take on a little extra risk
to get a lot of extra functionality.  Powerful
and popular applications like browsers will
always end up with extensions of some form
and without a proper security arrangement
(like caps or even java sandboxing) then a
shared trust scenario is inevitable.

Most of the risk will be covered by getting
a recommendation from a trusted source -
such as a friend or known expert, or a site
that is well known or affiliated like mozdev.
Everyone here would probably be quite
happy to download and install trustbar or
petname because they've seen and heard
about it here - that speaks volumes.

(Signing can add a little to that, mostly in
authenticating the correct product as is done
by patch hashes.  Hashes are wonderous
things in this context because they give you
most of what a public key sig gives you but
without the headache of certs.)

iang
--
http://iang.org/