On 9 Dec 2005 16:27:19 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I work on the Lucene component at Flock. We developed our API as we
> went along to fit an evolving design and UI. I wouldn't want to model
> any interface on whats in there now.
>
> I think what SQLite offers is quite different from what Lucene offers.
> We were initially trying to use Lucene as our bookmarks store but its
> impractical for a variety of reasons. I'd like to work with people on a
> generic text indexing XPCOM interface and object based on CLucene
> though.

I was thinking along the lines of making these (lucene and sqlite)
into optional components that can be installed into the base xulrunner
package. Then browsers or other xul based applications could access
them. Hopely the next gen brower will be xulrunner based, as indicated
in the roadmap.

It is common to want to use lucene and sqlite lite in conjunction with
each other. For example in Beagle (http://beaglewiki.org/Main_Page)
SQLite holds the structured information about each file (text and
non-text), while lucene is used as a full text index for text files.

When you use the two databases together things like threading, process
locking, and transactions need to be sorted out and coordinated.

My interest in SQLite/lucene is for a local xul based app.

--
Jon Smirl
[EMAIL PROTECTED]