I'm pretty sure XMLHttpRequest doesn't have to addref becuase it uses
an nsCOMPtr for it's callback object, and using nsCOMPtr automatically
addrefs the object.  I had one implementatin where I used a regular
pointer to point to the javascript callback and that implementation
crashed when I tried to call the callback after the SetCallback
function exited.  Adding and addref call fixed the problem.  Next, I
tried using an nsCOMPtr object and this implementation worked without
doing an addref.

I have a feeling you object is a little different than mine.  My object
creates a thread (using the NSPR thread library included with mozilla
source) that continues to run after the javascript code exits.  The
callback works fine until the javascript code exits.  Does your
callback work after your javascript code exits?