> I think the ISO *encoder* has demonstrated itself to be a sub-standard
> (excuse the pun) implementation.  Only the operation of the decoder is
> fully specified by the standard (IIRC), so I would make the LAME encoder
> work the same way as an ISO-compliant decoder - if you know what i mean.

Good point!  I just added lame3.28 to the web page with
Leonid Kulakov's fix for the high frequency MDCT coefficients (count1
quadruples).

My sound is still not working so this makes the third output/quality
change that I haven't yet tested - let me know if there are any problems.

I also added a low bitrate section to the USAGE guide, with
John Hayward-Warburton suggestions about proper downsampling with
Sox.

Mark