> But some math libraries may not support float, i.e, negligence.

Actually, ANSI says that math libraries must use double.

>     #define sinf(X) (float)sin((double)X)

Calling sin() in a tight loop is an indication of bigger problems :-)  (OK, it
was just an example)

> And pow(x,y) is much slower than exp(y*log(x)) on Macintosh (with MathLib on
> OS 9 + G4, and G3).
>
> How does everyone think about unifing float size to 32bit? It has merit to
> x86, or other CPU?

On x86, I found double to be not significantly slower than float with gcc.
Given C's preference for doubles, I tend to code for double, even (especially)
when perfomance is an issue.

Monty