I have tried encoding the same file with the old FhG encoder (2.7x) and it
does not have the same problem. Neither does any other encoder I've tried,
except mp3enc 3.1.
Also, if you clip a small segment and encode that, the blip doesn't occur
anymore. (Maybe a bug in the bit reservoir?)
That's why I said in the original post that it's probably a programming bug.
I hope someone could really explain it for me though.

As for mp3enc quality, it is probably the best out there except in these
rare moments where this type of thing occurs. I've heard other mp3's with
the same glitch. Tonal/vocal blips out when there is a hi-hat or something
like it. Not very noticeable listening to speakers, but with headphones it
drives me nuts! especially when I expect it every time I hear the same song.
That's why I switched to LAME. LAME sounds great, and I love the VBR.
I don't think I'll go back to mp3enc again, even if they eventually fix this
thing.

(btw, I use -h -m s -V3 -b 128. Gives me about 140-180kbps (~170 avg) which
sounds much better than mp3enc at 160 which I used to use. I can give up the
10kbps for all that extra freq range :)