> From: "Slavo Kopinec" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 11:55:33 +0100
>
> I nominate this small change:
>
> quantize-pvt.c, line 267:
>
> replace
> ath -= 114;
>
> with
>
> ath -= (122-gf.VBR_q*2);
>
> to ensure that in high VBR modes (V0, V1) nothing is muted out. (br. is
> increased by near 10kbps in V0)
>
> Slavo (alias macik)

Have you seen any indication that the ATH is too large?

I know decreasing the ATH will increase the bitrate (and result in
better quality), but decreasing any of the allowed masking
will have the same effect.  Thus I would rather decrease the
masking values computed in psymodel() then decrease the ATH.

Unlike the normal masking thresholds, I "believe" in the ATH.
That is, if we get the adjustment for the db of "silence" correct,
then I think encoding so that all distortion < ATH, will still
sound perfect.

Mark