Hi Mark,

    M> It is a little confusion to me because short blocks have fixed
    M> values for the region0/region1 partition which says that
    M> region1 ends at 576.  And thus you could assume that big_values
    M> has to be at least 576 - but I just checked the mpglib source
    M> and it specifically allows big_values to be smaller than both
    M> region0 and region1.

Uum,,,,, it looks you are right, Mark....
But it is too hard to implement the count1 region quadruples compression
into current ISO based code like lame....

I make a quick hack and do it, but it is not clever and cool:
 1  added the routine that reorder the MDCT coefficiences of short block
 2  rewrite calc_xmin, calc_noise, count_bits, ... for short block
 3  rewrite ShortHuffmancode routine to write out count1 region.

The new code still has little bug, but the snapshot will be on my web
page(maybe tomorrow?).

And bacause the new short block huffman coding algorithm is very
efficient, I think we should change the bit allocation for short block.

I'll check them and merge into the CVS.
---
Takehiro TOMINAGA // may the source be with you !