20800Hz to 22050Hz is 101.034 cents (in pitch terms :-) That contributes to about .84%
of the audible spectrum. Whether those frequencies can be heard, or whether they're
even put on CDs is a completely different matter. If they're not going to be heard,
then there's not much point in having them there because they'll use up valuable bits
when they *do* occur. And you don't want Lame to assume soft, low frequency sounds
will be masked by loud, high frequencies, when you actually can't hear them (or the
sound card can't reproduce them).
I'm in serious doubt as to whether frequencies >13kHz really contribute any musicality
to the tracks on CDs.

Shawn