Joshua> I've played quite a few mp3s and it refused to play one mp3.

Karsten> But I have some mp3s the plugin plays half the way and then
Karsten> proceeds to the next song.

  I think it's because those files are corrupted. Most of MP3 players try
to resync on erroneous frames. But mpglib seems easily break when
erroneous frame is fed. So, if I simply add resync code, decoder
often breaks after resync. It seems another patch for mpglib is needed.

Alex> Say, does anyone have a copy of the paper cited below or the ability to get
Alex> one?  It's listed as the source for a fast MDCT algorithm used in the maplay
Alex> decoder.  I adapted that algorithm for use in my decoder, and now I'd really
Alex> like to use it in an encoder as well, but I'm not familiar enough with the
Alex> theory to make the fairly radical changes that would require.

  I once posted a patch that speeds up old filter_subband, and it
includes 32point IDCT code with B.G.Lee's algorithm. I also have DCT
version of the code, and I'll post it if someone wants it.

Monty> No, but I have a later paper with a further polished algorithm that I use (with
Monty> my own mods; the authors were good mathemeticians, but lousy typesetters/code
Monty> optimizers) as the Vorbis MDCT:
Monty>
Monty> "The use of multirate filter banks for coding of high quality digital audio"
Monty> 6th European Signal Processing Conference, Amsterdam, June 1992, vol 1
Monty> pp211-214

  This paper can be downloaded from:

http://www.lte.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de/~spo/eusipco.corrected.ps

--
Naoki Shibata   e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]