> Hi guys,
>
> What is your opinion on SCMPX player/encoder by
> Shinji Chiba ??? It is available for almost a year
> already and I heard nothing else but rumors about
> how great/bad it is so far.
>
> SCMPX home page: http://www.70.nu/ch3/index_e.html
> Download: http://www.70.nu/ch3/smxwin151e.zip

I am very biased, but...

The web site says nothing about audio compression or encoding
technology.  Also SCMPX seems to be the work on one guy with
limited user feedback (not open source) who also writes games
and GUIs.  I just cant believe it is really an independent
codec.

The pre-echo results seem to suggest it does ok, so it is not based on
ISO code.  It also has VBR, jstereo and "forced stereo" which
was really invented by LAME.  So I would bet good money it
is based on some version of LAME, but by now it probably has
all the variables renamed and the indentation changed :-)

Mark