Okay, I isolated a 3 second clip from that track:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~stephena/near-silence.wav
http://home.hiwaay.net/~stephena/near-silence.mp3

I was wrong, earlier lame's encode the same way as the newer
alphas.  I am still surprised however at the bitrate selected for this
piece.  VBR 2 chooses 112 for 83% of the frames in this 3 second
clip.  With my volume maxed out I can barely hear the "sound".  I
guess I'm just a little surprised that lame doesn't choose a more
aggressive bitrate considering the output level is so low.

I haven't started to dig into the source yet, but I wonder if a more
aggresive VBR selection could be used depending on the output level
of a frame depending on the peak output (or average) of the entire
piece.  The 3 second track is all quite so maybe 112 could be
justified (in case volume is maxed).  But, in terms of the original
track, the three seconds cropped could be considered silence in
comparison to the peak or average output level of the whole track.

Is this a rediculous idea?

Steve