On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Ross Levis wrote:

> Mark?
>
> and any ideas when -Y will become default.  Does it still need some testing or
>tuning?
>
> Ross.
>
> --

There are now 3 VBR modes:

1. the current version (default)

2. -Y enables the true noise shaping VBR mode.  It should give
   similar results to #1, but be much faster.  Faster because it
   does not use the outer_loop() iterations scheme, but computes
   each scalefactor directly and then does just one quantization
   at the very end.

I'm hoping #2 will replace #1 soon.  But I still dont trust either
of these algorithms.  Does anyone have examples of a 128kbs(average) VBR
sounding better than a 128kbs CBR?

3. "safe VBR".  This mode is really CBR, but it keeps the bit
    reservoir as small as possible and uses VBR to achieve
    an unlimited bit reservoir.  When the target bitrate is
     (for example) 128kbs, it will produce files slightly larger
    than 128kbs, but *always* sound better than 128kbs CBR.
    it also runs just as fast as CBR :-)
    if you want to try it out, change the #undef SAFE_VBR to
    #define SAVE_VBR in quantize.c

Mark