On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Stuart Johnson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Opinions please.
>
> In the near future, I intend to start the mammoth task of encoding all my
> CD's.  Is now a good time in the development of LAME, or is it worth waiting
> a bit longer to get that extra bit of quality?  I like the idea of using
> VBR.  Is this option mature enough yet?

Personally, I would suggest that you wait for Ogg/Vorbis
(http://www.xiph.org). The future of MP3 as a widely used open format is
in serious question due to FhG's agressive and unreasonable licensing
requirements for their patents covering many technoligies used by MP3.

At least one key Lame developer is planning on working on Ogg now that FhG
has obtained patents in his country.

Ogg/Vorbis is nativly VBR is offers performance (quality/bitrate) superior
to all existing MP3 encoders even now (and vorbis is not at 1.0 yet!).
Vorbis is not encombered by the redicilus patents that MP3, AAC, TwinVQ,
ATRAC, AC3, and other contempoary algorithms.

The Vorbis format was designed from the ground up using new and creative
methods. With it's simple core design and modular architecture, vorbis is
ready for the future. The current encoder produces 120Kbit/s - 170Kbit/s
on most musical content while producing output that I believe to be
consistantly better to 192Kbit CBR Lame MP3.  Additionally, the codec
is structured so that the encoder may be signifantly advanced without
breaking player compatibilty.

You could begin encoding with Vorbis today: The format is fixed and will
be supported by all future players.

Ogg/Vorbis is available without cost under the Lesser GNU Public License.