> I remember a while back there were some pretty detailed discussions on how
> to encode MP3 files from cd tracks that had zero gap.  Today on freshmeat I
> saw a notice of a new version of BladeEnc.  Here is the "whats new" off
> freshmeat:
>
> 'Now supports "gapless encoding", i.e. the ability to encode CD tracks
> which blend into each other into separate MP3s without any silence or
> click between them. This version also features a speed increase of
> 40% more than the current stable release, better autoconf support,
> quality improvements, serious code cleanups, and lower memory
> consumption. It should work on 64-bit architectures again, and both the
> source and binary distributions are smaller. '
>
> Anybody know if this is true, how they did it, and/or can we get this
> incorporated into LAME?

The Blade web page doesn't give any details, but it looks like it is
the choped mp3 file solution.  So the mp3 files will play back
seamlessly, if they are decoded into a single .wav file (i.e. all
mp3's concatenated as they are decoded).

You can do this right now in lame if you encode the whole
CD as one mp3, and then split it yourself on frame boundaries.
The problem (and I believe this is what causes the decoder clicks
Tord mentions on his web page) is that the first frame of many
of the mp3's have a non-zero main data begin, so it will be
corrupt unless concatenated with the previous mp3.

Some people wanted it so that when the mp3's were decoded into
seperate .wav's, these .wav's could then be concatenated together.  I
think the conclustion was that this is probably not possible without
decoder and encoder modifications.

Mark