> > > The thing is - unless the different bitrates have the same frequency and
> number of channels then surely they are too dissimilar after the resampling
> to gain very much?
> >

> > Well, the psycho acoustics should be the same :-)
>

> Some things might be similar, like m/s choice, block type decision, but the
> bit allocation is diffinitively different, as the number of bits available

This stuff is not psycho acoustics itself. psycho is:

window, fft, cb's, energy & tonality computation, spreading function,
threshold computation. After that you use it: fold to sfb's, m/s choice, ...

> is different and frequency distribution is different due to filters.

You first filter and _then_ do the psycho acoustics? That's broken, IMHO.

> So yes, you'll probably gain something like 5-10%, but I personnaly think

Psycho is about 50% of the comutation cost, I think?

> that it's not enough to justify an heavy code modification.

I agree with that :-)

On the other hand, it would be nice if the encoder was more modular.

Ciao,

Segher