It was Acy Stapp not Mark T that had a look at doing it but apparently the Windows
ACM doesn't support VBR and I think it was abandoned.  I'm not sure where the
problem is because I'm fairly sure that the Fraunhofer ACM does play VBR MP3 WAV
files.

I haven't found a utility that can add a correct WAV header to a VBR MP3.  Someone
recently requested this option be added in LAME -- which I second.

Ross.