Hi Alex,

    A> So the question is - does SCFSI work?  I.e. are there any
    A> encoders that actually use it?  (Does LAME?)  After I patched
    A> all the bugs so that it would work as specified in the spec (I
    A> think), it sounds like shit.  (Shittier than usual, that is...)
    A> Am I missing something, or is this why I've never seen an .mp3
    A> which uses this 'feature'?

yes, LAME uses SCFSI. but the algorithm is completely different from
ISO's.

I think ISO's algorithm of SCFSI will never work fine, however you tune
the parameters.

so I made a completely new SCFSI algorithm. it works and makes the quality
little bit better. never dicrease the quality.

see the "scfsi_calc" routine in "takehiro.c"
---
Takehiro TOMINAGA // may the source be with you!