Howdy J,

> I am looking for a way to capture both audio and video,
> synchronize them,
> and multicast the resulting stream.  The receivers must run on windows
> platforms as well as Linux.  The encoder must run on Linux.

Not to clutter this list up with commercial chatter or anything, but this is
actually exactly what the company I work for, ClearBand, does.  Try our web
site http://www.clearband.com.

> thoughts? Can I get so lucky as to get some card that does
> this for me?

We tend to sell fully loaded (encoder) systems on a variety of hardware
platform, but this is simply for convenience, as it is non-trivial for most
users to configure the A/V card and network.  What we really make is
software - the hardware is all commercially available to the public.

(I'm working on improving the audio from the current Layer-II codec to a
Layer-III one, starting from the hopelessly awful ISO 'dist10' sources,
which explains my periodic questions/rants about that code, in case anyone
was wondering...)

Alex