Hello Stephan,

Wednesday, August 02, 2000, 1:06:26 AM, you wrote:

>> In 3.86a it seems, that this feature is always switched on.
>> I'am using:
>>  -mj --vbr-old -V1 -b128 -F
>> Adding -h has no influence.
>> With the older 3.85,
>>  -mj -V1 -b128 -F
>> gives better results as
>>  -mj -V1 -b128 -F -q1.

SE> Yes! This is also my experience. Especially when the Wav-File contains a
SE> lot of noise (such as copys from cassetes)

that 3.85 sounds worse with -q1? Or do you mean 3.86?

The quality gap between 3.85 and 3.86 is VERY big. They have nothing
to do with -q1 though (scalefac_scale).

I consider 3.85 -q1 -V1 transparent, but I would not recommend the
current -V0 even as an option with 3.86. There are too many unresolved
issues.

Read the threads I posted a while back about vbr_mt and vbr_rh.  the
386 vbr's are filled with noise, and the overall noise levels are much
higher than 3.85.  most of this is due to that >20kHz fault I
described.

try lowpassing the music (16k or so), just for the fun of it and
listen again with 3.86.  Should be a great improvement already.

--
Best regards,
 Roel                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]