Hello alex,

abcc> I feel guilty using a list mainly devoted to an open source codec (LAME) to
abcc> further the development of ClearBand's 'proprietary' codec.  (Is a standards
abcc> based codec implementation proprietary?  We don't sell the codec - we sell a
abcc> multicast system, mostly to ISPs and corporations, and the proprietary part
abcc> is the multicast part.  My superiors just didn't want to license FhG's
abcc> source, I guess...)

I don't know if that would help.  If you look at
http://www.mp3licensing.com , you would see it costs >$1M to bring any
mp3 encoder on the market.  FhG+Thomson have patents on mp3, not only
their code.

http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/swenc.html
http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/broadcast.html
>We do not charge royalties for mp3 streaming or mp3 broadcasting
>(e.g. Internet Radio) until the end of the year 2000. Beyond this
>date we anticipate to charge a small annual minimum and a percentage
>of revenue. However, this model is not yet fully developed because we
>cannot yet oversee where this new market is going.

best inform your superiors to rip off Ogg Vorbis, which is not patented
;-)

--
Best regards,
 Roel                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]