On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 10:57:39AM +0200, Gabriel Bouvigne wrote:

> I've got another question about window sizes: are the short ones really
> essential in VBR? Would it be possible to only use long ones, and then
> allocating a lot more bits in the case of transcients? After all, Xing uses
> only long ones, and does a not so bad job for transcients for an encoder
> using only long ones. (note: I'm not saying that Xing is a reference in term
> of quality)

Tested with a synthesized signal:

--noshort -b128:                awful
--noshort -b320:                bad
--noshort -b550 --freeformat:   Decoder SIGSEG
-b320:                          good, but distinguishable from the origin
                                without any effort (20/20)
-b550 --freeformat:             okay

Note:
All-purpose lossless compressing utilities gave a better compression ratio:

        input uses              input uses round to
        HQ quantization         nearest integer quantization

gzip    190 kbps                74 kbps
bzip    154 kbps                68 kbps

Very short attacks seems to be a nightmare for MP3.

Signal is:

  * white noise
  * attack time: 0.5 ms
  * release time: 25 ms
  * pause time to fill the bit pool: 474.5 ms
  * both channels are uncorrelated
  * all attacks are different and also sounding a little bit different

Note: The percussion attacks in "Money for nothing" are a little bit similar
      to these attacks:

  * white noise from 1...18 kHz (+/- 3 dB)
  * attack time: ca. 0.5 ms
  * release time: ca. 20...30 ms
  * but: no silence between the attacks

How to capture Win95 Screen Shots? What utility would be the best?

--
Frank Klemm