Mark Powell schrieb am Die, 26 Sep 2000:
> On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Ross Levis wrote:
>
> > Mark Powell wrote:
> >
> > > FYI My PIII 583MHz (not Coppermine) provides ~1.5x normal speed.
> >
> > On Win98 the new VBR encodes at ~1.1x on my AMD K62-428.  CBR is a bit faster.
> > K62 is known for slow FPU so I would expect much better from the P3.
>
> That was with the options:
>
> -V1 -b128 -mj -h
>
> under FreeBSD. It wasn't a competition I was just giving him some
> empirical evidence to work with :)
>
> > I think the
> > LAME website says P2-266 will encode CBR realtime!
>
> CBR is a very large topic. There a umpteen option combinations.
>   Cheers.

        The info on the website is about an older version of LAME.

        lame -h -b320 x.wav x.mp3  will result in ~1.4x often
        on my Pentium166 MMX (at 200 MHz)

        VBR is 2 to 4 times slower than CBR
        -V1 -b128 -mj -q1       ~0.38x
        -V1 -b128 -mj -h        ~0.46x
        -V1 -b128 -mj -f        ~0.62x

        or with RH_AMP defined and doing some carefully noise shaping
        -V1 -mj -q1 -X6 -Y -Z   ~0.13x

        But these factors are only rough estimations, they vary
        a lot on different music pieces.

        Ciao Robert