On  3 Dez, Manoj Palki wrote:

> 2. I encoded a file in two ways. One - using the lame encoder command line
> options and the other by writing a small program to read data from a file
> and then using libmp3lame functions to encode. In both cases I used the ABR
> (average bitrate mode) at 12kbps. The only difference being that in the
> second case the encoder doesnt know the filesize( and hence doesnt know the
> total number of samples to be encoded either).

Have a look at "slame" (= "simple lame") in
http://www.leidinger.net/lame/py-lame.tar.bz2 (python bindings for
libmp3lame, still a lot to do (no ID3 yet, only output to a file and
only encoding of 16bit interleaved stereo at the moment)), it does the
right thing in this case (set the total number of samples of the input).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
                      Loose bits sink chips.