> Inspecting the files with a Hex editor and File Info function in Winamp, I
> discovered that if Lame generates no ID3 tag, or a v1.1 tag only, it
"pads"
> the first 417 bytes of the file with zeros.

This is the space reserved to write the info/vbr tag. This tag should be
written after encoding is finished. The problem might be that the front-end
that you are using to encode doesn't properly call the needed function to
complete this tag after encoding.

> So I set about looking for a switch to perhaps discontinue this feature
> (assuming it is a feature) but had no luck.
-t

> Only when it sees a bunch of zeros at the
> start of the file does it get rude and display "Not MP3".
Might be an indication that your player is broken. Compliant mp3 players
should skip unrecognized data.

Regards,

----
Gabriel Bouvigne