    >> There is not yet any support of any SSE or SSE2 optimizations
    >> into Lame yet.  Only MMX and 3DNow are there.  This is likely
    >> to be something that is compiled by mixing some files from Gogo
    >> and fron Lame.

    A> Or they refer to SSE2 instructions generated by icc 7. I hadn't
    A> time to test it with icc 7, but MMX instructions generated by
    A> icc 5 slowed down lame a little bit (this is independend of the
    A> nasm MMX code).

Just FYI:
It seems icc7 is not good for LAME compiling, at least for me. With
icc7, LAME slows down about 10% comparing icc6.

And, With icc6 and "-fno-alias" option for the compiler, I got one more
(about 1 or 2%) speed gain. But with icc7, I cannot use "-fno-alias",
because it cause an internal compiler error for many files.

My test is done on my Duron 1GHz, Linux2.4.20, 384MB memory.
I don't have and don't know about the P4 box, but at least for me,
icc7 was not good as I expected...
--
Takehiro TOMINAGA // may the source be with you!