Wow, welcom back, our leader!

    M> This will disable "best_huffman_divide", which I beleive is the
    M> main difference between short blocks in lame 3.70 and later
    M> versions.  (lame 3.70 is reported to work okay with hardware
    M> decoders which have this problem) It is also a feature which is
    M> used (as far as I know) by only lame and some FhG encoders
    M> which may explain why using other encoders will not create
    M> problems.

uum. I agree it may cause the problem.

    M> I notice that best_huffman_divide() is specifically disabled
    M> for short blocks in MPEG 2/2.5.  Does any one remember why this
    M> was done?

>From the commit log of takehiro.c in Attic,

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/lame/lame/Attic/takehiro.c?sortby=date

that was your commit to fix my "broken" commit.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/lame/lame/Attic/takehiro.c.diff?r1=1.68&r2=1.69&sortby=date

This disabled best_huffman_divide for SHORT BLOCK for all MPEG version.

And later, you enabled it for MPEG1.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/lame/lame/Attic/takehiro.c.diff?r1=1.69&r2=1.70&sortby=date

I searched the mail archive arroud these days, but I cannot find out
the reason at the moment :(
--
Takehiro TOMINAGA // may the source be with you!