Michael Niemeck wrote:
Recently got my Compaq IPAQ PocketPC, which - supposedly - sport a 400 MHz
Processor. Since LAME is said to "faster than real time on a PII 266 at
highest quality mode" I decided to give it a try.

To my horror, encoding a 2 second chunk of raw PCM data takes up 40 seconds,
and even at lowest quality needs at least 4 seconds.

Well, the most important problem is that you probably do not have any floating point unit on your processor. Emulating floating point instructions is very time consuming.
To speed up lame, you might want to use "-f" and "-m m" in order to use fast mode and mono.

I think that some people on this list tryed to port lame code to fixed point. Perhaps they might give you some indications.

Regards,

---- Gabriel Bouvigne www.mp3-tech.org personal page: http://gabriel.mp3-tech.org