On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 11:44:22 +0200
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Well I know very well os400 environment something less os2, something less
> windows, something less Linux and so on down to almost nothing about
> mp3encoding, so it would be a blind-porting, and all of you are free to
> consider me a newbie.

As long as it provides the necessary C and POSIX API it should be possible.

> Some questions.
>    Is there a "porting guideline" documentation to refer to?

No, just try to configure + compile it and fix problems as they arise.

>    Due to strange errors using supplied makefiles I'm wondering whether
>    they are full compatible with gmake (I've a gnu porting on os400), are
>    they?

To which makefiles are you referring to? The canonical way for unix-like
system is to run configure (it creates the necessary makefiles) and then
to run make. The other makefiles are either input files to create the
real makefiles, or they are for non-gcc compilers, or they are legacy
makefiles.

>    Trying to compile the very first error I got comes from a definition in
>    mpglib/mpg123.h the line the compiler won't compile is
>    char *strchr (), *strrchr ();

This happens if STDC_HEADERS isn't defined. You either haven't run
configure, configure wasn't able to detect the headers, or your system
doesn't have the headers. I assume you haven't run configure (you should
redirect the output of configure to a file, to be able to have a closer
look at it if something doesn't work).

>    I noticed that there are some source files that are tipical of an intel
>    platform e.g. Dll/BladeMP3EncDLL.c, due to the lack of a gui on iSeries

That's the code to produce a Windows DLL, it isn't used on unix-like
systems.

>    servers (formerly known as AS/400), just have command line any gui/cua
>    managed by as400 program runs on workstations (virtually any kind), I'am
>    wondering if it's possible to build lame for a pure server like this
>    without losing something important (yes, I think gui is not important,

LAME doesn't have a GUI (more correctly: there's one, but it's targeted
at the developers, it's not useful for people which just want to encode
a MP3 and it isn't build by default).

Bye,
Alexander.

--