If you want to use a scripting language i advise you to choose Perl, and use
the  MP3::Info module.
If you're not familiar with perl you can start reading some documentation in
  http:www.cpan.org wich is also your source to find Perl modules.
This module can give you bitrate information, sample rate, frequency, and even
the id3 and id3v2 tags. There's plenty of different modules so you can peek
the one that's suitable to you. As an example take a look at my script made with
 Perl so you can see what kind of info it takes.

http://www.dcc.online.pt/~c9807025/cgi-bin/mp3.pl

The only info added by hand was the encoder type, wich i don't know any perl
module that take it, and encspot is down :(

Anyway you can also try python, there's some python module that also gets mp3
info. look for a small python program called pyslsk it's a soulseek client and
uses a python module to read mp3 info.

Hope that this work with you, but anyway there could be also other ways of
getting your job done.

Cheers.
Filipe