Hi Chris!

You are right! :)

I am looking for a good spectrum analyzer, could you point me one? :)

Thanks in advance!

Chris Holt wrote:

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 11:47:15 -0300, Jorge Santos wrote:

Hi!

I have been getting some Mp3 at 320Kbps, but when I start listening to some of them, I realize the quality is not a real 320Kbps, probably some newbie has picked up a MP3 at 128 and reencoded it at 320Kbps! Is there any software which may show me the real quality/bitrate?

Thanks in advance

Nothing automatic that I can imagine. Once the file has been resampled, it is what it is. There is nothing that says you can't encode crap from an old cassette on a cheap deck at 320kbps.

If your ears tell you it's crap, then it is probably crap and you need to seek out another source, or rip it yourself.

Perhaps a sound program with a good spectrum analyzer would give you a clue and verify what your ears are telling you. If you see virtually no activity above 14khz or so, then it is likely not an encoding from a good source, or more likely it's been transcoded, as you suggest.

Chris