I will look into these codecs.  Are these lame codecs or audacity?  I'm running
Fedora Core and Slackware Linux.

Some are wondering why I want such a low bit rate.  Here's why-I run an mp3
server that streams and sounds best at low bitrates (it's not choppy on
low bandwith connections).  I have ~ 5000 mp3s and most are speeches.  Some
were pre-compressed at 24 kbps and 22 khz and sound great.  The ones I'm
trying to compress with lame are recorded at 192 kbps and 44 khz.  So, it's
been done and it should work for me.  Here are links to 2 speeches:

A 24 kpbs 22 khz speech download that sounds fine:

http://media.ccphilly.org:81/Teaching/Audio/B02_Exodus/WED54924.mp3

The 192 kpbs 44 khz speech I want to compress:

http://www.ccbellmawr.com/radioprogram/Week20070312/SH20070313%20Nehem4_5b.mp3

Marty

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 23:03:47 -0400