I've been hunting a bug regarding duplicate tags for some time now. In
my audio library, all flac files have 2 different tags set to the track
number. These 2 tags are mapped by mpd to the same internal tag. This
means, the same tag (with the same content in my case) is sent twice to
clients. The track number is just an example. I guess the same can
happen with any set of tags, that mpd considers equivalent.

I noticed this bug in ncmpcpp, which displays duplicate tags to the user
as: "01 | 01", which looks rather weird in my opinion.

You can find some more information here [0] and here [1].

I fixed this in ncmpcpp, but arybczak convinced me the fault lies with
mpd, which shouldn't send duplicate tags in the first place, if their
values match. Here [2] is a small patch that filters out duplicates in mpd.

However, I saw commit b3fe3e8b3de5794762f21000d5771b0491e8a041 and that
made me wonder, whether duplicate tags are actually wanted or required?

So, what is your opinion on this? What is mpd's intended behavior here?
Should I submit the patch?

Thanks in advance for your help.

[0] https://github.com/sampsyo/beets/issues/350
[1] https://github.com/arybczak/ncmpcpp/pull/58