Hi Max,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. Proper use of open source software is
something that we take seriously, and linking our SDK libraries against GPL
licensed software is as much a violation of our license agreement as it is
yours. We do not condone or support this behavior.

It was a surprise to me to learn that our code was being statically linked
into mpd, since this is not our intent, nor a technical necessity. Our SDK
is designed to run as a standalone daemon with limited dependencies.
Typically IPC is used to communicate with other processes on the system
instead of directly linking with them. It's possible to accomplish a
complete integration in this manner without violating any licenses.

We have been in touch with the people at Cary Audio today to help educate
them about open source licensing, their obligations, and to assist them
with remedying any violations as rapidly as possible.

I'm aware that several of our other partners integrate mpd in their
products. If you find that anyone else is making mistakes involving our
SDK, please let us know so that we can assist in a similar manner. I
suspect that some are not fully aware of the implications of using open
source licenses in their products. That is no excuse for this sort of
behavior, but it is something that we are happy to help with if other
violations arise.

Thanks,

Brian Luczkiewicz
CTO, Roon Labs