The performance of both the amd64 and core2 patches seems to suck on
this machine.

Here is a graph of Magma vs FLINT at polynomial multiplication:

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/wbhart/flint-trunk/graphing/polymul.png

The leftmost column of that graph is simply integer multiplication.
That's using the core2 patches. It's worse with amd64.

It's not even clear to me what this machine should be classed as.

No hints from gmp-4.2.2. It didn't build for me. I'll try a later version.

Bill.