On Jan 10, 8:03 am, "Bill Hart" <goodwillh...@googlemail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> At the moment we don't use mpir.h.
>
> It should be possible for them to make a gmp-4.3.spkg. I don't see any
> technical hurdles there.

Yes, as mentioned in the other email getting something that works on
at least a couple platforms is easy, but making it work everywhere is
a harder problem.

> Perhaps there will be some doctest failures due to different gcd
> functions being called, I don't know.

This is unavoidable since the Nils Moeller xgcd and the version now in
eMPIRe produce different output for xgcd. Both of them are different
of what gmp without Nil's patch produces. The doctests in Sage will
reflect the results from eMPIRe once it will be merged. As things look
this isn't far away and mostly depends on the ReST patches getting
merged before the new spkg is going in.

> Someone needed to fix the gmp spkg anyway.

Well, I am not doing it and I don't see anybody else doing with. With
eMPIRe there is no incentive to fix the "real" gmp.spkg and cleaning
it up so that it is as fast as even gmp 4.2.1+Core2 patch+Nils Moeller
patch and also builds on all platforms is a bit of work, i.e. the OSX
32 bit PIC problem. I gave up a while ago and instead put my efforts
into other things. Compared to that packing eMPIRe has been a breeze
and the only issue I had to work around was the OSX 32 bit PIC problem
- and that was doable in 20 minutes once I had sorted out which files
caused trouble.

> It was severely broken, and
> GMP also didn't compile on some of the planned supported archs.
>
> I'll let Michael give a more canonical answer.
>
> Bill.

Cheers,

Michael