I'm pretty sure the division by B-1 algorithm itself is not new, I
think Quercia's numerix library had it some time ago, from memory he
used something basically equivalent to calling mpn_add_n with
overlapping source and destination buffers (very sneaky). Also I
believe Zimmerman + Bodrato + Zanoni independently came up with that
idea (or something similar). I'm only claiming credit for the idea of
combining it with multiplication to get fast division by divisors of
B-1. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if that had been done before as
well, but I don't know of any instances --- let me know if you find
any. I also am not claiming credit for figuring out a good assembly
implementation of this --- it looks like at least one MPIR developer
has figured this out, and I know Torbjorn has done so as well on
several chips (but I have not gone through the pain of trying to
understand how his code works).

david