I would like to hear various opinions  on autotuners [http://
view.eecs.berkeley.edu/wiki/Autotuners ] in mathematical libraries/sw.
One successful we already have - ATLAS. Also various approaches with
evolutionary algorithms seem to be interesting and rewardful.

Since I lack a deep knowledge of EA`s, I`m asking why not give a
program some basic algorithm to do some bignum operation, specify the
resources it is allowed to use (CPU cores and/or GPU, RAM) with the
task to improve overall computing time and wait for the result(s). As
always, the devil is/could be in details, but the resources are
certainly out there - http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=osstats
.

An example of a success story (in physics though):
http://www.fmf.uni-lj.si/si/obvestila/12128/

They seem to work also for GPUs and Cell (some benchmarks):
http://www.spiral.net/bench.html

Some interesting papers:
http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ken/autotuning/

Sincerely,