On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 6:41 AM, Cactus <rieman...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I had an interesting email exchange with Agner Fog about this and he
> argues that it is not unreasonable to ignore the need for exception
> support in low level code since very few exceptions can occur anyway
> and those that can are not likely to be recoverable.
>
> I am hence wondering if that is a strategy that makes seense. What do
> people here think?  Does it makes sense to take a 5% performance hit
> in order to support Windows x64 exception handling?
>
>    best regards,
>
>      Brian

How would that affect debugging information?  For example, suppose
that some high level program is using MPIR and ends up calling one of
the MPIR routines with a pointer that is slightly off.  If that
propagates into one of the assembly routines before actually
triggering a protection fault, would Windows debugging tools need the
stack unwind to identify the source of the error?  (I don't know how
the Microsoft development tools are designed, so I have no idea if
this is even a relevant question.  I know that gdb just uses the
processor's debug registers to get this type of information.)